I like to experiment with language services (Hindi versions) of Google Products. Granted that I don’t need to do this, since everyone I communicate with over email is perhaps as much or more fluent in English than in Hindi. So call it inverse snobbery, too much free time or whatever you please. The tale that follows reveals that my endeavors are not that fruitless after all.
A friend, to whom I often write emails in Hindi, decided to go one up on me. He replied to me in Bengali. I decided out of curiosity to enter the text in Google translator and asked for a Hindi translation. The fun began.
‘হর্স ‘( ‘Harsh’), my name written in Bengali script was translated by Google as ‘घोड़ा’ the Hindi word for ‘Horse’. By no means, the letters making up my name in Bengali combine to mean “Horse.” Puzzled, I decided to ask Google for a Bengali – English translation and it had indeed translated হর্স as Horse. Then I realized that Bengali doesn’t have a hard “a” sound and instead uses “au” and instead of a hard “sh” often pronounces it as “s”. So “Harsh” can sound like Horse. And then Horse in Hindi is घोड़ा (the word for the animal) and hence the output by Google. This reveals two major flaws in Google Translator.
First, that Google is really ‘fooling’ users when it offers translation from any source language to many other target languages. For instance in this case the translation was really being made from Bengali to English and then to Hindi. Similarly I checked Bengali to Spanish, the same word was translated as Caballo – the Spanish word for the animal horse. Perhaps Bengali to Spanish being mediated via English is still understandable but Bengali to Hindi via English is a very inefficient way of translating. It is almost like translating between Arabic and Urdu via English. More importantly the service conveys the impression that it directly translates from the source language to the target language.
The second flaw suggested by this incident is even more grave. That is, if Google does not have the meaning of the word in the input language in its database (for instance my name here in Bengali) , it translates the ‘sound’ into English. Now if that sound happens to be spelled as a legitimate English Word, as was “Horse’ in this case, it assigns the ‘meaning’ of the word in English to all subsequent translations. This completely distorts the original meaning ,of course.
In this case I was reasonably close to the three languages to ascertain what was going on. It may not always be the case. I would perhaps go to a real person to put me wise than rely on artificial intelligence. Big Brother may desire to simplify our lives, but he is not so wise yet, after all.
Addendum: A conversation with someone who read this one. And an update to respond to all previous reactions